Saturday, January 22, 2011

Focus in the Classroom

This semester I am trying two new things in my classes.

First of all, I am declaring the classroom a "technology-free" zone. While in the past I've only had a few students bring laptops, and those students have been good students who remained highly engaged in class, last semester suddenly a lot of students started bringing laptops and smartphones, using them in ways that clearly disengaged them from class discussions. It also became clear that those students missed a lot that we went over in class. So, this semester I am going to ban laptop computers, cell phones, and smartphones from class, explaining that I want us to focus on each other and on the discussion happening in the classroom.

Second, I am going to start each class with five minutes of quiet meditation. I have in the past used meditation in some classes, where it was obviously relevant to introduce students to a variety of meditation techniques. And the students have really loved this. And so now I've decided to do this in all of my classes, and for every class session, simply because it is good for us. It quiets the mind, and prepares us all to focus.

Related to both of the above, I am going to make time now and then to talk in class about how to think more consciously about how we live our lives.

I'll report back about how this goes.

4 comments:

L. J. Rediehs said...

So far, the students are intrigued at my technology-free classrooms; they seem to understand and for the most part appreciate it.

I haven't done the meditations in all of my classes after all -- just Peace Studies (in which I have always done it).

But in Modern Philosophy, I start nearly every class with a self-graded quiz. This is serving as a great way to bring everyone quietly to a strong focus on the material. Our discussions have been great, and we are moving into a much deeper level of engagement with the material than I have ever seen before.

Rachel Feltman said...

Hi Professor Dove. I remember you being one of my favorite professors in my entire college experience, back when you taught at RMWC for one semester. You made philosophy come alive in a way none of the other professors there could. I'd love to be able to stay in touch with you.

As for your blog post, I think I would have died in my law school classes without my laptop (I'm a slow writer) but I remember your classes being so engaging and animated that learning was focused on really absorbing and understanding the information, rather than an emphasis on note-taking that leads to rote memorization.

Anyway, thank you for bringing such a spark of light, enjoyment, and pleasure into the world of teaching. I once asked you to write a recommendation for me... now as a former student, if you'd ever like a recommendation from me I'd be happy to give you one!

Rachel Feltman said...

Hey, sorry, I didn't realize at first that there were multiple posters on the blog! :) Oops! I found the link on a professional page for Professor Dove elsewhere on the internet and it didn't indicate the blog has many posters.

Unknown said...

I was intrigued by your post.

I am curious how your technology-ban from the classroom has gone over the past few years.